Educate, Mobilize, Act:
Restore DeKalb are citizens for transparency, education, ethics, economic development, and accountability. We are proud to step forward to the “frontline” to place our children first and maintain our accreditation. Restore DeKalb have launched the “Restore DeKalb campaign” to reclaim our neighborhood school, maintain our accreditation, and ensure our communities thrive economically, thus improving our overall quality of life.
Restore DeKalb will initiate a grassroots campaign to maintain local control through elected representation. We ask that parents, homeowners, churches, organizations, HOA, PTAs, etc. hold our elected officials accountable to ensure we maintain local control of our school system and also maintain our accreditation. We must make every effort to remove risks that threaten our accreditation and local control.
Restore DeKalb Action Plan include:
We ask that our parents and homeowners educate themselves on the issues to include the SACS reports, KPMG audit, and grand jury findings that caused the threat to our school accreditation in the pass to ensure we do not repeat the same mistakes. Please review the documents and information below:
1. DCSS – KPMG Forensic Audit (Draft): http://www.scribd.com/doc/113268871/DCSS-KPMG-Forensic-Audit-Draft
2. DeKalb County Grand Jury Presentments March – April Term, 2012: http://dekalbschoolwatch.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/dekalb-grand-jury-report-for-march-april-2012.pdf
3. DeKalb County Grand Jury Presentments November-December Term, 2011: http://briarcliffheights.org/bch/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/nov-dec-2011-presentment-final.pdf
4. DeKalb County Grand Jury Presentments May-June Term, 2010: http://dekalbda.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1476
5. DeKalb County Grand Jury Presentments September-October Term, 2009: http://dekalbda.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1137
6. Seven counts 127-page indictment which names Superintendent Crawford Lewis, Pat Reid, the school district’s former chief operating officer; her husband, Tony Pope, an architect who’s worked on DeKalb school projects. http://d3gcj4nzojrapq.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Indictment-10CR2861.pdf
7. AdvancED – Report of the Special Review Team for DeKalb County School District Stone Mountain, Georgia – Review Dates: October 17-19, 2012. http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/news-and-info/press-releases/SACS-report.pdf
8. Heery-Mitchell/DeKalb County School District Litigation Public Documents: http://www.dekalbschoolslawsuit.com/public_documents/
9. Governor’s Executive Order for Miller County – January 9, 2013: https://dekalbschoolwatch.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/read-the-governors-executive-order-for-miller-county/
10. AdvancED SACS Letter: http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/news-and-info/press-releases/SACS-letter.pdf
11. Superintendent response to AdvancED SACS Letter: http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/documents/sacs-casi-accreditation/superintendent-response-to-advanced-sacs-letter.pdf
12. AdvancED – DeKalb County School District Placed on Accredited Probation: http://www.advanc-ed.org/sites/advanc-ed.org/files/DeKalb%20County%20Schools%20Release%20Dec%202012.pdf
We ask that our parents and homeowners help us mobilize the votes of the people who want to maintain local control. Please stay involved with our local schools and seek the help of your family, friend, neighbors, church members, etc. We can be reached at RestoreDeKalb@gmail.com. Please contact us if you have questions and/or concerns.
Text – A- Parent (TAP) – Johnae Davis, a then 10-year-old student of DeKalb County School System, suggested students and parents use their cell phone to send a message for everyone to get involved with our school system and help Restore DeKalb hold our elected officials accountable. This will help parents learn what is going on and get parents more involved with their school system. We ask everyone to forward a message via the cell phone to signup with Restore DeKalb website at RestoreDeKalb.wordpress.com.